Wednesday, October 2, 2013

2001-2002 Playlist

Nelly
Back then, Nelly used to wear a Band-Aid on
his cheek for his incarcerated friend.
source: Nelly's Facebook page
The 2001-2002 school year was a transitional time in my life, for more than one reason. It was around that time, like I said in my previous playlist post, that I began to listen to more than what was being presented to me on pop radio. I branched out not only by listening to music online when I could (technology was nowhere near as advanced as it is today, or even a few years later), but also by tuning into more LiteFM radio stations to learn about the music that had paved the path to what was popular in 2001.

And of course, September 11th happened. That changed the landscape for radio for at least a few weeks, with a lot of Adult Contemporary seeping into typically youthful pop radio stations, making my exploration of different types of music easier. It was also in the fall of 2001 that I began to listen to holiday music stations, or seek them out. Maybe it was when the onset of nostalgia crept into the national consciousness, I don't know, but I hadn't ever sought out Christmas radio before. I don't think I've ever fully recovered from wanting to relive the good times, the better days.

Instead of putting the songs in an order that flows well, I basically put the songs in chronological order, with the exception of a few songs. Again, not all of these songs came out in the 2001-2002 period, as I was beginning to explore other genres of music.

- "Why," Avril Lavigne
There was a time I really liked Avril Lavigne. It was mostly at the very start of her career, before she started really coming at people and trying to prove how anti-Britney she really was, or whatever. Actually, she's a fairly talented songwriter and a lot of her songs have been really good. In terms of vocals, I've always looked at Taylor Swift as a poor man's version of Avril Lavigne. I also kind of maybe had a teeny crush on her guitarist, Evan Taubenfeld.
- "Wherever You Will Go," The Calling
- "Can't Fight The Moonlight," LeAnn Rimes
- "Learn To Fly," The Foo Fighters
- "Drowning," Backstreet Boys
- "Valentine," Martina McBride
This was one of the songs that I picked up, listening to those LiteFM stations. Turns out there were a ton of crossover country hits in 2001-2002 ... I didn't realize until I started putting this playlist together.
Avril Lavigne 2002 2003
source: Avril Lavigne's Facebook page
- "God Bless The U.S.A.," Jump5
I even listened to a ton of Radio Disney that year (and still do when my regular stations just aren't doing it for me). I loved the beautiful harmonies of Jump5, and just the vocals. Jump5 was very, very young back then, and the purity of their voices seemed especially appropriate for this song given the circumstances of the popularity of this song at the time.
- "We Fit Together," O-Town
- "Don't Let Me Get Me," P!nk
This was one of the first P!nk songs I really liked. Incidentally, this was around the time she went very pop, rather than the rough and tough R&B gal she broke out on the scene as.
- "I Hope You Dance," Lee Ann Womack
- "In The End," Linkin Park
I went through a bit of an angry period in the winter months of that year ... this song came in handy, along with "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd and "Losing Grip" by Avril being up there. "Losing Grip" remains one of my favorite Avril Lavigne songs to this day.
- "Where Are You Christmas," Faith Hill
- "Emotion," Destiny's Child
My favorite Destiny's Child song of all time, and it's not even theirs. I loved what they did with this song, I adored the music video, and I loved the soft tenderness this song offered, and comfort.
- "Girlfriend," 'N Sync
- "Blurry," Puddle of Mudd
- "Fields of Gold," Eva Cassidy
I first heard Eva Cassidy's rendition during one of Michelle Kwan's routines at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, and immediately I went and downloaded the song. It's still among my top five songs.
- "I Need A Girl (Part 1)," P. Diddy and Usher, ft. Loon
- "Standing Still," Jewel
Jewel fans complained that she'd gone all pop on this record, but I didn't really care. I was going through something at the time (arguably still am), and this song really felt close to me. It was one of the first songs about identity, the Unknown and the in-between that I noticed, that came at a time I really needed to hear it. The lines "Out of the corner of my eye / was that you passing me by / a sweet sorrow is the call tomorrow" still hit me in the gut sometimes.
- "Just An Old Boyfriend," Kaci Battaglia
- "Hot in Herre," Nelly
Probably THE song of 2002. In fact, in the seventh and final season of the "Gilmore Girls," Rory and her friends threw a "2002 Party," and this was played at said party.
- "Complicated," Avril Lavigne
Don't love the song, but it brings me back every time.
- "Gangsta Lovin'," Eve and Alicia Keys
- "Just A Friend 2002," Mario
- "Heaven (Candlelight Remix)," DJ Sammy and Yanou
About a year before the DJ Sammy version of the song came out, I fell into love with Bryan Adams' version. That one will always be better or the best to me, but there's something about the Candlelight Remix ...

No comments:

Post a Comment