Wednesday, September 4, 2013

2000-2001 Playlist

Eden's Crush
source: MTV.com / Carlo Dalla Chiesa
I'm back to share my playlist from the 2000-2001 period, which, looking back, was probably one of the best "years" of music I can remember -- it had the perfect mix of the teenybopper music that had been so popular in the years prior, along with some alternative music of the 1990s and some hip-hop that would come to dominate pop music in the following years. The 2000-2001 period was probably one of the first years I really started to take an active interest in contemporary music outside of what was being fed to me through pop radio and MTV/VH1, so there are some songs here that may not necessarily be from the 2000-2001 time period, or songs that may not have been played on radio at all.

I started creating a Spotify playlist for this as I usually do, but so many songs were missing that I eschewed that idea and went straight for YouTube. One song from my personal iPod 2000-2001 playlist is missing from YouTube, a song that I really played the crap out of during this time period, and that song is "I Wish Me You" by Amanda Latona. She was mostly known back then for being the girlfriend of the Backstreet Boys' A.J. McLean, but she was also a former member of a girl group managed by Justin Timberlake's mother called Innosense (which I believe Britney Spears was also part of before she decided to take the solo route). Ah, who doesn't love an incestuous pop music world?


- "The Space Between," Dave Matthews Band
- "Get Over Yourself," Eden's Crush
I actually never liked this song, but a year or so after the song came out, I realized that this song had been the soundtrack to so much of that year of my life, I couldn't leave it out. I much prefer the Eden's Crush (the girl group formed by the WB show "Popstars" ... the group which Nicole Scherzinger initially started out in) song "Love This Way," which makes an appearance later on in this playlist.
- "Crazy," K-Ci and JoJo
- "So In Love With Two," Mikaila
The only reason this song is on my list is because it brings me right back every time I hear it. Even back then, I thought the song was a little too teenyboppery for me, though it had a nice R&B tone to it. I liked the girl's voice, though. Another song from this era that's similar is the song "Broken Promises" by Tonya Mitchell. Neither song fully broke pop radio, though they were played in the wee hours of the night, I guess as a trial. Wonder what ever happened to both of them.
- "Ride Wit Me," Nelly
- "If I Was The One," Ruff Endz
The grammatical errors of this song still bug me (go figure), but the melody and beat are so entrancing, I can't help but love it.
- "Natural," S Club 7
"Never Had A Dream Come True" is the S Club 7 song that most Americans are familiar with, but I was guilty of watching their kids' TV show on ABC Family back then, so I was familiar with most of their songs and kept up with their career. "Natural" was the song that really stuck out to me, because it was a teeny bit less pop and slightly more R&B, which was a style I was really fond of (and still am).
- "All For You," Janet Jackson
One of my all-time favorite songs from my teenage years. This song makes me happy to this day, and I will chair dance if I hear it. "Doesn't Really Matter" was also released as a single in 2000, and it was equally good.
Lenny Kravitz
source: Lenny Kravitz's Facebook page
- "I Like It," Sammie
- "Butterfly," Crazy Town
Along with "All For You," one of my all-time favorite songs of this era.
- "Smooth Criminal," Alien Ant Farm
- "I Need You," LeAnn Rimes
- "Crazy For This Girl," Evan and Jaron
- "It Wasn't Me," Shaggy
- "Love This Way," Eden's Crush
- "Lady Marmalade," Moulin Rouge soundtrack
- "Again," Lenny Kravitz
I surprised even myself when I found myself falling in love with this song. I'd already been a minor fan of Lenny Kravitz's, but this song was so simplistic in comparison to the songs I preferred. I think this is just such a simple and beautiful love song.
- "Breathe," Faith Hill
- "I'm Like A Bird," Nelly Furtado
- "More Than That," Backstreet Boys
- "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)," 3LW
- "Drive," Incubus
Another song that defines this time in my life for me. This is such a great song, and part of what drove me towards more acoustic music.
- "Nobody Wants To Be Lonely," Ricky Martin ft. Christina Aguilera
- "Fill Me In," Craig David
I'm shocked and downright disappointed that Craig David hasn't had greater success in the United States. His music was so fresh at the time, and a fantastic fusion of pop and R&B that wasn't a filled niche at the time (and still really isn't). Plus, he's got such a pretty face.
- "All Or Nothing," O-Town
I wasn't a huge fan of O-Town, but something about this song -- or maybe the music video -- was so sad to me at the time that it made an impact and has stuck with me since. There was some controversy at the time among boy band fans over the intro of this song, as it was more or less identical to that of "Drowning" by the Backstreet Boys, a song that wasn't released until fall of 2001. Who copied who? Will we ever know?
- "How Long," Dream
Straight-up bubblegum pop, but such a princessy, girly song.
- "Here's To The Night," Eve 6
I don't think I'll ever not like this song. This song made me jealous that I wasn't a high school senior in 2001. I know it's supposed to be about a one-night stand, but that doesn't make me love the song any less. The lyrics are so true, so good for all time. The line "don't let me let you go" still haunts me to this day.

Eve 6
source: Eve 6's Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment