Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Top Five: "The Hills" moments

"The Hills," sadly, started out as a continuation of the wildly popular "Laguna Beach: The Real O.C." but overstayed its welcome and went down in history books as a huge joke, a joke that its producers were happy to share the punchline to. In the past few weeks, I did two "Laguna Beach: The Real O.C." posts, a top five moments entry for each of the first two seasons of the show (season one, season two). For "The Hills," though, I'm going to do just one because as the seasons wore on, each episode seemed to revolve around the same recycled drama, just with prettier clothes and more plastic noses.

Unfortunately, none of the full episodes of "The Hills" currently work on MTV.com, but I managed to find a pretty good compilation via PopSugar's YouTube page.


The Hills, Elodie

5. Elodie vs. Heidi
(Season 3, Episode 7)
Oh, the satisfaction I felt when Elodie showed Heidi what's up after Heidi went behind Elodie's back to get a promotion. On Elodie's last day, Heidi asked her to take over her late night nightclub shift so she could spend time with Spencer ... and Elodie agreed to it, all the while not telling Heidi she'd already quit. I almost forgot Elodie existed, but she made for some great, great television that night.

The Hills, Jason or Paris

4. Jason vs. Paris
(Season 1, Episode 10; 0:16 in the video above)
When the final episode of the first season of "The Hills" aired, I was well into my college years, a world backpacker, and a seasoned intern. And I knew that you should never, ever pass up an opportunity to go to Europe ... especially not for a boyfriend. Especially not if your boyfriend is Jason Wahler. Need I say more?

The Hills, Audrina vs. Lo

3. Audrina vs. Lo
(Season 4, Episode 1)
Let me just start by saying that I never liked Lo. I especially did not like Lo when she was "Laguna Beach's resident Paris Hilton," and though she seemed to become less shallow during and after her college years, she was no more engaging as a character. That said, I thought the season-long riff between Lo and Audrina was mildly entertaining, with the "drama" playing out in the very best representation of a passive aggressive confrontation between two girls ever captured on film, maybe. "I know, but ..." "I hear you, but ..." You hear nothing, Lo. You hear nothing.

The Hills, Audrina vs. Lauren

2. Lauren vs. Audrina
(Season 4, Episode 5; 0:57 in the video above)
The penultimate moment of "The Hills." Cheeks streaked with mascara-stained tears, Lauren -- with her croaky day-after-Les-Deux voice -- confronts Audrina about the tension that's built up between the three roommates. The other most memorable dramatic moment has got to be the "I want to forgive you, and I want to forget you" speech Lauren gives to Heidi.

1. Whitney Port vs. Overly Dramatic Reality Television
On "The Hills," Whitney Port played a minor, supporting role to the show's main girl, Lauren. Because we got to see so little of Whitney on "The Hills," she was always entertaining, always wise, always a little mysterious. Unfortunately, those illusions vanished into thin air when Whitney signed on to do two seasons of "The City," but while she was on "The Hills," I have to say, she was the greatest entertainment of all -- a voice of reason and humor. Let these GIFs demonstrate my point.
The Hills Whitney Port GIF
"A date!?"
source: gabeswebsite.com

The Hills Whitney Port GIF
source: heresgifsforyou.tumblr.com
The Hills Whitney Port GIF
tumblr.com
The Hills Whitney Port GIF
tumblr.com
The Hills Whitney Port GIF
source: giphy.com
Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment