Wednesday, November 6, 2013

2002-2003 Playlist

Michelle Branch 2003
source: Michelle Branch's Facebook page
Wow, the past few posts I've done have all revolved around music. I need to start getting back into TV or pop culture, huh? Anyway, I'm back with yet another playlist from my adolescence ... perhaps the nail on the coffin of my radio-playing days. 2003 was the year I sort of dropped off of the pop radio radar and never quite recovered.

A lot of the songs on this playlist were less about songs that were popular at the time, and more about a sentiment I was looking for. I remember 2002 and 2003 were heavy on hip-hop and singer-songwriters, and anything else on this list was probably something I caught on a television show or movie.

- "Thinking Over," Dana Glover
I discovered this song from the trailer for the children's movie "Tuck Everlasting." Weird, but true.
- "Sexual Healing," Shaggy version
- "Game of Love," Santana ft. Michelle Branch
Gone from the spotlight in 2002 and 2003 were the Britneys and Jessica Simpsons, and Avril Lavigne (the "anti-Britney"), Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton temporarily took over. With the help of Santana, of course. But bubblegum pop prevailed in the end. It always prevails.
- "Damaged," TLC
- "Never Leave You (Uh Oh)," Lumidee
As annoying as this song was (and is), for some reason, it symbolizes all of this period to me. I can't really explain it -- maybe it's the joyful, youthful beat and girly, simple sentiment.
- "My Place," Nelly ft. Jaheim
- "Scandalous," Mis-Teeq
- "Calling All Angels," Train
- "Don't Wanna Try," Frankie J.
- "If You're Not The One," Daniel Bedingfield
The poor guy. DJs across America called him "Danielle Bedingfield" for ages after his debut single "Gotta Get Thru This" came out, presumably because his voice is so high. Oh well, I still liked this song in all its sappiness.
- "Sunshine," Lil Flip ft. Lea
Like "Never Leave You," this sound defined the period for me. This song's just better.

What were you listening to in 2002-2003?


With the exception of "Sexual Healing," here's the playlist via Spotify:

No comments:

Post a Comment