Thursday, March 7, 2013

Music Video: "Remix (I Like The)," New Kids On The Block

I only got into New Kids On The Block in 2011, 3 years after I heard their somewhat insipid "Summertime" all over pop radio (and years and years of seeing them on VH1 specials, not to mention having to listen to my classmates talk about them when I was in elementary school ... better late than never), but even I can relate to long-time fans who are ready for new music. Their new album "10," which has a release date of April 2, is their first studio album in ... can it be true? 5 years?

"Remix (I Like The)," which has a bit of a head-scratcher title, is the first single off of the new record. Let's jump into our completely superficial analysis of the new music video for "Remix (I Like The)."


I Like The (Remix) video

I really despise those epic, 8-minute long music videos disguised as short films. I was a little worried when I saw this. At least the cinematography's good.

I Like The (Remix) video

I spy with my little eye red Sunny Delight. This image begins the very confusing puzzle of trying to figure out in which decade this party takes place.

I Like The (Remix) video

Depressing, potentially 1970s through early 1990s décor. This reminds me of "The Royal Tenenbaums."

I Like The (Remix) video

I Like The (Remix) video

I laughed. Been there, done that.

I Like The (Remix) video

Still trying to figure out what decade we're in.

I Like The (Remix) video

Artemis was the "Lonely and Awkward" type of wallflower. These two are the "Snooty and Judgmental" type.

I Like The (Remix) video

The baby's just as bewildered as I am.

I Like The (Remix) video

The presence of spider plants makes me think it's the '70s.

I Like The (Remix) video

Add a garden flamingo and we're set.

I Like The (Remix) video

The five New Kids are deeply rooted in the '10s. Or maybe this is their attempt to look like the Rat Pack or some '70s quintet, but it's just not very convincing.

I Like The (Remix) video

Here's Jordan looking like he did in the late '80s ... that's a step in the right direction.

I Like The (Remix) video

Here's Jonathan doing the bare minimum, as usual. We know you've got personality, Jon!

I Like The (Remix) video

And there's Kimmy Gibbler from "Full House" in the bright teal shirt and matching sunglasses, wondering how she ended up in the 1970s.

Final thoughts:

Needs more Jordan, song and video.

I like this song more now that I'm seeing a visual accompaniment. I like the harder, louder sound -- it reminds me of some of their earlier music, like "Hangin' Tough" and even "You Got It (The Right Stuff)." For the past two records, their sound has leaned R&B, but now they're getting back to, like, 1988 style.

I can also tell, by the way this video's been done, that they are really trying to appeal to their older/original fans rather than really going out of their way to make new fans. There's nothing wrong with that, especially when you're practically in your mid-40s. And why not make feel-good music for grown women? I think that's an untapped demographic. Smart move, NKOTB.

Behind-the-scenes video in which they never clarify any of my questions but look smokin' not clarifying my questions, so I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment