Thursday, June 13, 2013

1998-1999 Playlist

Controversial Britney Spears Rolling Stone cover
The oh-so-controversial "Rolling Stone" cover ...
source: Britney Spears' official site
I've been gone for too long, keeping quiet on the nostalgia front ... summer time for all my teen obsessions is always busy, which for some reason, means that things are quiet. I guess it has all to do with the fact that I've always had a thing for musicians over actors or athletes (or any other type of celebrity), and summer is when they go on tour and -- as far as I'm concerned -- fall off the face of the planet. All of them, all at once. I know, my heart hurts just thinking about it.

For example, in 2013: New Kids on the Block are currently on tour with Boyz II Men and 98 Degrees. I won't be partaking this year, because I didn't love the new album that much, I think they're performing a lot of stale oldies, and ... I don't have the cash. Oh, and I don't want to sit through 98 Degrees. If it was just Boyz II Men and NKOTB, I'd give the tour a second thought. One Direction is also on tour, but I'm not young enough to be okay with sitting through 2 hours of high-pitched screaming and hysteria. (And I was abroad when the current tour went on sale and wasn't thinking 12-14 months ahead. The balls their management team have ... really.) Backstreet Boys are releasing a new album in July, with a tour immediately following. Again, I don't want to hear "I Want It That Way" for the umpteenth time, and Kevin -- in spite of my previous post -- gets no love from me, so his return isn't much of a selling point.

TLC in the late 1990s
source: MTV.com
Sigh, it's hard to keep old fogie fans like me happy, huh?

In the meantime, I do have another playlist, taken directly from my iPod. It's a playlist I made back in the day that corresponds with the 1998-1999 school year (that is, September 1998 through summer 1999). It's appropriately summery tune-centric, for some reason, and I hope you enjoy.

And don't cry like I almost did the other day while listening to Pandora's "Summer Hits of the '90s" station the other day. (It was the juxtaposition of "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind and, embarrassingly, OMC's "How Bizarre" that did it.)



"Baby One More Time," Britney Spears
"When The Lights Go Out," 5ive
"Have You Ever," Brandy
"Chanukah Song," Adam Sandler (actually from his 1996 album)
"C'est La Vie," B*witched
"What's My Age Again," Blink 182
"Even Angels Fall," Jessica Riddle
"Smooth," Santana ft. Rob Thomas
"Genie in a Bottle," Christina Aguilera
"Miami," Will Smith
"Steal My Sunshine," Len (even better now that I'm older)
"Almost Doesn't Count," Brandy
"Summer Girls," LFO
"Heartbreaker," Mariah Carey ft. Jay-Z
"Tearin' Up My Heart," 'N Sync
"If You Had My Love," Jennifer Lopez
"Slide," Goo Goo Dolls
"Crush," Jennifer Paige
"No Scrubs," TLC
"Because of You," 98 Degrees
"Where My Girls At," 702
"Give It To You," Jordan Knight
"Angel of Mine," Monica
"Just the Two of Us," Will Smith
"I Will Remember You," Sarah McLachlan
"I Want It That Way," Backstreet Boys
"Kiss Me," Sixpence None the Richer
"Believe," Cher

No comments:

Post a Comment