Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Maybe Kevin does make a difference after all. #BSB

Backstreet Boys 2013
source: Backstreet Boys' Facebook page
So the Backstreet Boys made an appearance on "Good Morning America" this morning, and it was all marketed as "the guys are back!" Yeah, only for like the 14th time on broadcast television in the past 3 or 4 years. C'mon now.

Anyway. I haven't been the biggest BSB supporter over the past 5 years, I've gotta admit. The last album of theirs I thoroughly enjoyed was "Incomplete," which was released in 2005. Their sound changed ... oddly (or not-so-oddly) enough, after Kevin left the group, and their music began leaning towards electronic, dance pop music, which I felt was a) totally not their style, b) totally not their forte, c) totally not suited to their voices ... just imagining Brian singing dance music right now is giving me the heebie jeebies.

So I don't know what the rest of their new album "In A World Like This" (releasing July 30th) is going to sound like, but if the song they performed on "Good Morning America" this morning is any indication, maybe I can think "Backstreet's back, alright!" without wanting to slap myself. It's not so much that they're BACK, but it seems like they've found their sweet spot again.


"Permanent Stain" doesn't quite sound like anything they've done before, but it still sounds like them. A grown-up version of them, without sounding stuffy. It has an anthem-y feel to it without seeming like they're trying to imitate any of the actual teenaged boy bands out there today. Actually, it sounds kind of Coldplay/U2-ish to me, which is more than a long-time BSB fan (or at least this one) could hope for! And they are still ON POINT with their vocal harmonies! And dare I say it -- their dance moves are still sharp! (This is coming from a girl who thinks it's peculiar when middle-aged men dance for a bunch of girls/women.)

Of course, the Boys ended their GMA appearance with a performance of "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)," complete with those 15-year-old dance moves and everything. I love nothing more than early BSB, but that's a song I wish they would retire already.

Because Backstreet's not back ... it's never gone away.

[Bonus points if you caught the unintentional pun in there.]

No comments:

Post a Comment