Wednesday, April 10, 2013

List: Top 10 '00s Pop Albums

Christina Aguilera Stripped
source:ChristinaAguilera.com
Continued from where I left off in 1999 with Jessica Simpson's "Sweet Kisses" album, I'm back to share a list of what I consider the best (teeny)pop albums of the first decade of the 21st century. It seems that though my first dabblings in the world of popular music were far more R&B-tinged, by the time I was settled in my teens, I was happily throwing my parents' hard-earned dollars into the teenybopper pop music pot. Maybe it was a sign of the times. (Maybe not.)

Since 2004 or so, I really haven't been keeping up with pop music, so this list will be skewed in many ways. Again, in chronological order, the list:

"SOONER OR LATER," BBMAK (2000)
BBMak was a blip on the pop music radar. I saw an interview One Direction did recently when neither Niall nor Zayn could identify BBMak's greatest hit, "Back Here." And BBMak (or at least the only one who really mattered to me) hails from Manchester, England, the general vicinity of Zayn Malik's hometown! (For the record, Niall could readily identify "Step By Step" by the New Kids On The Block, so this has nothing to do with the fact that he was only 7 years old when the album was released.) So I had a crush on Christian Burns (although Mark is looking good to me now), whose birthday was made suspiciously murky at the time. He was probably, like, 32 instead of the 26 or so he claimed to be, but whatevs. They released a surprising number of singles (hits, I'd dare to call them, because most -- if not all -- of them made it onto the "TRL" countdown) in the U.S., 4 or 5. The music was good, and for a second, I even tried to convince my friends that they were not a teenybopper band because they played their own instruments! They wrote their own songs! And they're old(er)! Which was all true, along with the fact that they had a decidedly more acoustic and organic sound than what 'N Sync was coming up with around the time ("Bye Bye Bye" and the like). BBMak broke up in 2003, long after I'd stopped caring about them, but I still pull out "Sooner or Later" every once in a while and give it a listen ... because after 13 years, it's still good.


"SHADES OF PURPLE," M2M (2000)
I know. You're probably thinking, "WTF? The 'Don't Say You Love Me'/'Pokemon' girls?" Yes, they were annoying and their voices whiny. But if you can get over that, they actually made some really decent music. In terms of songwriting, they were on Taylor Swift's level (or better) before Taylor Swift even became a teenager. They followed their debut album "Shades of Purple" with "The Big Room" in 2002, which, as a teen, felt like a lifetime later. Their star had faded a bit by then, and Marit and Marion officially went their separate ways the same year. "The Big Room" was good, but "Shades of Purple" was more satisfying in the way it captured the atmosphere of pop music at the time. They incorporated different flavors into their pop music, most notably R&B, and they did it incredibly effortlessly. I hadn't listened to M2M in about ten years' time when I stumbled upon them again recently and marveled at just how great two teenaged girls' songwriting skills were back in the day. I highly recommend both of their albums if you're into pop music from the late '90s/early '00s.


"BLACK & BLUE," BACKSTREET BOYS (2000)
Bringing it back to the U.S. now ... to me, "Black & Blue," and not "Millennium," is the Backstreet Boys' greatest creation to date. It was ever-so-slightly raunchier than "Millennium," but held steadfastly onto the sound the Backstreet Boys had already created for themselves. They had some angrier tunes on this, like "The Call" and "Not For Me," as well as your typical Backstreet fare, like "More Than That." And while "Shape of My Heart" wasn't a standout for me back in the day, it's become a sort of BSB anthem to me, far more able to draw a visceral feeling of nostalgia from me than the always bland "I Want It That Way." (Sorry.)

"IT WAS ALL A DREAM," DREAM (2001)
Sigh. I felt these girls had so much potential, and they brought to the table something other girl groups hadn't been able to offer -- an urban touch and a playful irreverence. Although none of these girls were probably from anything less than middle-class California, they were signed by P. Diddy (who had JUST changed his name for the umpteenth time) to Bad Boy Records. And because they were so close to me in age, I felt as if I could live my pop star dreams through them vicariously. I'm not entirely sure what happened with them -- I know the eldest member left the group to pursue acting, they recruited a new member and recorded a sophomore album which was never distributed. But I was able to get my hands on it some years down the line and I enjoyed it nearly as much as I enjoyed their debut. What a pity. Looking back at their music videos, it's kind of awkward how girls in their mid-teens are thrust in the spotlight. Maybe what happened to them was a good thing after all.

Sorry for the shoddy quality ... this was my favorite single of theirs 
and this is the only "copy" of the music video on YouTube.

"STRIPPED," CHRISTINA AGUILERA (2002)
Do you remember how much controversy surrounded the release of this album? Between the "assless leather chaps," Christina's "dirrty" look, the dark hair and impending weight gain ... blah blah blah. Bottom line is this was an amazing album, and almost an entirely different sound from her equally impressive debut album. I think "Beautiful" is overrated, but there were songs for everyone on this album, and gems like "Impossible," "Underappreciated," "Loving Me 4 Me,""Cruz" ... altogether incredible and probably among her best.

"NO SECRETS," NO SECRETS (2002)
From here, we begin to move into unknown territory, as in: you will probably not have any idea who or what I'm talking about. No Secrets was a girl group probably best known for backing Aaron Carter on his song "Oh Aaron." (Um, I totally forgot about this album ... I remembered the one before it and the one after it, but damn ... did Aaron Carter really release that many albums?) No Secrets were 5 girls from California with a slightly urban sound (commonplace by 2002 in the teen pop world). I don't know that they ever really found fame, but that doesn't mean I didn't have a copy of their debut album! Apparently they recorded two more albums before disbanding in 2005. I didn't and still don't really know much about the 5 girls except that they had some really great pop songs. This entire album is fun to listen to and a great reflection of the early '00s in pop music, and I have no problems with breaking this out when I get ready to go out even now.


"PLAY," PLAY (2002)
If you've ever heard of them, you must've been a fan of Dream Street, Aaron Carter, Radio Disney or "TRL" in 2003. These girls hailed from Stockholm, Sweden and frankly weren't remarkable singers (with the exception of Faye Hamlin and then her replacement, Janet Leon), but they were fun to watch and listen to. Their debut album is the purest bubblegum pop I've encountered in 2000s, and the songs on this album are made of sunshine, flowers, rainbows, kittens, unicorns, cotton candy and newborn puppies. But it's still good because it's girly and fun and hopeful and music parents should have no problem with.

 

"REPLAY," PLAY (2003)
Their debut was kind of rough around the edges in comparison to the following records, and of the three (reunion not included), "Replay" was my favorite. It was slightly edgier than the group's completely bubblegum debut. "I Must Not Chase The Boys" was the only Play song that made its way onto U.S. airwaves and "TRL." Faye left the group after this album and was replaced by Janet Leon. Their last album in the '00s didn't do well and they disbanded -- only for 2 of the 3 original members to come together again in 2009 with another girl ... and for Faye to bail again.

"HILARY DUFF," HILARY DUFF (2004)
Considering Hilary Duff doesn't have a good or even decent singing voice, she's made incredible pop music. I guess she's got great producers and record execs behind her, because I love her music. Her debut "Metamorphosis" in 2003 was probably the weakest of the bunch (her Christmas album aside), but her follow-ups were amazing pop music. Of "Hilary Duff" and 2007's "Dignity," I preferred the former simply because I could not stomach the idea of Hilary Duff as being anything close to sexy (which she was in her video for the leading single for "Dignity."). Both were chock full of great pop songs, songs to dance to and get ready to, to mope to ... the full gamut. "Dignity" was more sultry, mature and dance/house music-like, whereas "Hilary Duff" was pop music that showed shimmers of a rock influence.

"MY WORLD 2.0," JUSTIN BIEBER (2010)
Does this count? I know it was 2010 and that's not exactly in the '00s. Anyway. The reason "Bieber Fever" swept the world in 2010 is because someone slipped subliminal messages into "Baby." Okay, maybe not, but I really don't know anyone who hates that song. It's so damn cute. But honestly, "My World 2.0" is a fine piece of pop music work. There's nary a song I have any complaints about, and it's got the requisite happy dance songs and the wistful romantic songs that make girls feel closer to fill-in-the-blank Male Teen Idol. "Somebody To Love" (album version) is probably my favorite, but "Never Let You Go," "Runaway Love" and just about every other song on the album are really fantastic pop songs too.

Honorable mentions (a.k.a. post-'00s):

"THE OTHER SIDE OF DOWN," DAVID ARCHULETA (2010)
This album was funny ... David co-wrote many of the songs and it had a really great, almost acoustic sound to it that seemed beyond his years, but not in a stuffy, overly mature way. I think his people made a seriously poor choice in releasing "Something 'bout Love" as the lead single and generally not giving him much of the marketing/promotion pie. Jive Records dropped David following this album, but personally, I think he was on the right track and I hope he picks up from where he left off on this album when he gets back to music-making. "Complain" and "The Other Side of Down" are standouts on this album.

"TEENAGE DREAM," KATY PERRY (2010)
I really, really disliked Katy Perry until she released the song "Teenage Dream." I didn't even like "California Gurls." But this album is really, really good pop music, especially coming from someone close to the age of 25. What I love the most about this album is its strands of '80s music.

*** Final notes: I would totally have included Taylor Swift's 2006 debut album if it weren't for the fact that that album was legitimately country ... and only borderline pop. That album was awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment