Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A 20-something's guide to Harry Styles

Harry Styles
source: fabulousmag.co.uk
Now that I am another year older (it happened this past weekend and I'm not exactly happy about it), I figured it'd be a good time to try to enlighten the unenlightened (a.k.a. convert them) to the wonder that is Harry Styles. Now, I can't speak for teen girls and why they may like Harry, but I can speak on behalf of those of us who are in our twenties.

Harry Styles
source: WENN
I just love guys in basic, everyday clothing.
First of all, he's 19 and only a handful of months older than my refrigerator. He's one-fifth of the extremely attractive boy band that is One Direction, and he hails from Holmes Chapel in northern England. He is known mostly for his curly hair, talking extremely slowly, "dating" Taylor Swift (the jury is still out on whether it was a real relationship or a PR one) and being not only a cougar magnet, but reciprocative of the attention he gets from cougars. (That justifies this entire post.)

I can't explain what exactly it is about Harry Styles that has mature women giggling over his every whim, but I can tell you that it's not his looks. Because if you have eyes, you will agree that Zayn Malik wins the crown for Best Looking Member of One Direction. Obviously. In fact, it was Zayn who drew me to One Direction at first, but once I realized that Harry Styles was more interesting, I switched teams.

Here are some of the traits that make him attractive, among others I can't put my finger on, demonstrated through video clips.

+ He's intelligent, witty and funny without trying too hard.
I have a track record of liking boys who are less than smart, but Harry Styles is not one of them. You can tell he's quite intelligent (this interview is a great example), and sometimes you might even wonder whether he's borderline pretentious (like, he hangs out with "philosopher" Alain de Botton and frequents art galleries). But then he does something unabashedly dorky and you forgive everything.


Skip to 8:19 and try not to laugh as he asks for gold man tights.

+ He's not afraid to show his emotions.


+ He's a mummy's boy.


Okay, so maybe that video doesn't exactly demonstrate that he's a momma's boy, but maybe his multiple tattoos for his mother and sister Gemma do?

+ He's a really dorky dancer, but a confident one nonetheless.



+ He's unflappable.




I've practically never seen him angry. I think it would take a lot. Harry's one of the few One Direction members who doesn't take to Twitter to slag off some other media personality or boy band member, and one of his favorite phrases is "Never explain, never complain." (It's actually "Never complain, never explain" and was made famous by the Queen of England herself.)

+ He seems real, in spite of everything.



Yes, that is him dancing with a street performer in the middle of Notting Hill, London.

+ He has a rugged manliness about him, despite the fact that he's the youngest member of One Direction.


Skip ahead to 1:23, at which time young Harry gets blasted not once, but twice, by the smoke blower.


+ He can cook.


Apparently he makes a mean taco ... that might not sound impressive, but think about how far away England is from Mexico. And how few Mexicans likely live in England (5,049 Mexican-born people lived in all of the United Kingdom as of 2001). Honestly. When I lived in England, I came across zero tacos or anything resembling a taco (pronounced TACK-O in British English). Maybe I should've just dropped by Casa de Styles.

+ He allegedly does good things.
Says Ed Sheeran. And I trust Ed Sheeran's word more than I trust even young Harry's word, so it must be true.


+ His cheeky smile.
Obviously. And the fact that it appears whenever he tries to hide something.



... and this is just me, but I love him most of all because he prefers Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block to 'N Sync (awkwardest of awkward interviews ... you've been warned).

Well, that about sums up the first edition of "A 20-something's guide to Harry Styles." Not hinting that there may be a second edition or anything. Surely I have better things to do with my time ...

Harry Styles
source: TeenVogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment